I recently visited The Henry Ford Museum in Detroit, Michigan, USA.
On display at the museum is an actual camp bed that was used by George Washington in 1775. I have to say, it looks remarkably similar to camp beds people use today. It seems to be a design that has lasted centuries. This particular camp bed looks like it folds right back up into a suitcase which is at the pillow end of the bed.
Also on display at the museum are photos from 1915 of people camping with what looks like a modern day awning tent off the side of a Model T Ford. There is also a roof top camper on the top of a Ford dated 1957.
It looks like these designs have been around for over 100 years, as long as cars have been around.
The most interesting camping display item was a ‘tent trailer’ from 1927. The design is very similar to modern day camper trailers!
Glamping may not be a new concept after all!
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Have a read of our other stories:
- Detroit, Michigan
- Venice Beach, California
- Niagara Falls – USA and Canada sides
- Travelling on your own – 10 handy tips to make your trips safer.
- Birdsville Races – Top things to do while you are there.
- Bedourie Camel and Pig Races 2019
- BACON – Hand marinated & smoked!
- Earn QANTAS points by exercising. WINNING!
- Gold Coast Marathon Weekend – combining two of my loves, travel and running.
- This one’s for Mal
- LONGREACH, Queensland – A free camping spot that was second to none.
- Eumundi Markets – World famous markets on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland.
- MOUNT ISA RODEO – An outback event not to be missed.
- Winton’s Way Out West Fest, 2018.
- Julia Creek Dirt n Dust Festival 2018
- Roma Street Parklands, Brisbane, Queensland
- Brisbane Beer, one of my most favourite topics!
- Paronella Park, Far North Queensland
- Is a 12 week fitness challenge right for you?
- What is the first step in your fitness journey?
- Earn money and gift cards in your down time while travelling.