Venice Beach is about 7km from Santa Monica, California. It is a place like no other. One one hand I felt like I was in a movie. On the other hand I saw so many homeless people living in such a beautiful area, forming their own lifestyle. It is a place of extreme contrasts. There is an evident artistic beauty in the area.
The Venice Beach walk gives you an opportunity to see a range of talented artists, many of who appear homeless. There are stores selling Venice Beach souvenirs, fast food, a muscle gym and stalls with all sorts of art, some spectacular, some just recycled trash. There is a man, Nathan, who plays the piano like a concert pianist right there out in the open on the beach. Google his fascinating past if it interests you. There are a few lovely restaurants right on the beach. There is also a skate park with very talented skaters on show.
The Muscle Beach Gym is definitely an attraction with some of the strongest people working out in the outdoor gym right on the walkway. Holy muscles batman!
I visit Venice Beach almost ever year I am in the States. This year there was so much pot being smoked I thought I was high after one lap of the Boardwalk. There are Green Doctors along the walk. There must be many people with ‘bad backs’ there.
You can walk along a beach walk from Santa Monica. You will pass many beautiful people. Many are tanned and toned – some naturally, some enhanced by plastic surgery. There are all types of fitness activities to see along with way. If walking isn’t your thing then you can hire a bike. Every day is a beautiful day along that walk.
If you are looking for accommodation in the area I would recommend looking at the Santa Monica end of the boardwalk.
Talk a walk a few streets back from Venice Beach as there are cute shops, wall art and a canal to discover.
If you are in Southern California don’t miss a visit to Venice Beach. It really is a unique area that has it’s own special combination of art, beach lifestyle, poverty and money.
Follow Fit Average Jo on Facebook and Instagram.
- Facebook: Get Fit for Life and Travel – Tips for the Average Jo
- Instagram: #FitAverageJo
- Twitter: @FitAverageJo
Have a read of our other stories:
- Niagara Falls – USA and Canada sides
- Travelling on your own – 10 handy tips to make your trips safer.
- Birdsville Races – Top things to do while you are there.
- BACON – Hand marinated & smoked!
- Earn QANTAS points by exercising. WINNING!
- Gold Coast Marathon Weekend – combining two of my loves, travel and running.
- This one’s for Mal
- LONGREACH, Queensland – A free camping spot that was second to none.
- Eumundi Markets – World famous markets on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland.
- MOUNT ISA RODEO – An outback event not to be missed.
- Winton’s Way Out West Fest, 2018.
- Julia Creek Dirt n Dust Festival 2018
- Roma Street Parklands, Brisbane, Queensland
- Brisbane Beer, one of my most favourite topics!
- Paronella Park, Far North Queensland
- Is a 12 week fitness challenge right for you?
- What is the first step in your fitness journey?
- Earn money and gift cards in your down time while travelling.